How we're made.
"I will praise you; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are your works; and that my soul knows right well."
Sometimes my first thoughts when reading that are that God made me wonderful; to be wonderful. And then that I was made fearful? I mean, I could see that, like fearful of Him, in the reverence way. But looking at the words, 'fearfully,' and, 'wonderfully,' I see that they're adverbs. That means that they describe an action. They're describing how I'm made, not really what I'm made. They refer to God's action. The way He's made us is wonderful and fearful.
After our wedding, Alyssa and I trekked out to Pigeon Forge for a 5 day honeymoon-trip-thing. The driving was probably my second most memorable part. For most of the way, I drove while Alyssa directed. She had the gps and often shared the where's, when's, and how's. Kind of like a back-seat driver.
Now usually back-seat driver is a derogatory term for a person telling you things that you're already aware of, like pointing out the obvious. But this was something better; she was the co-pilot. We were on the trip together, to help each other out.
When I give directions, I'm sometimes afraid that I'm annoying. "You'll have to turn right here." It seems easy enough, but what if the driver already knew that. I don't want to be too domineering, but I also don't want to miss a turn. I'm not trying to challenge the driver's knowledge, I just want to help.
Unfortunately, I don't always take directions humbly. Sometimes I do think that I already know where and how to go. I do try to remain calm and thankful, but that's now how it always goes.
Alyssa's directions, though, are so gentle, yet affirming. She defeats a worry of offending and shares a form of truth, the way to go. She trusts that I'm listening, drives away the fear that I won't respond correctly. I think that's part of love.
Expounding upon the way we're made: Our whole lives have been made, not just our womb havened bodies. He was aware of every moment, idea, and movement that we'd have. We weren't just given a form and then left that way forever. We grow. God shapes us. Things cause us to change and learn.
She's already fallen asleep, worn from breakless labor. She's been tirelessly filling out applications, tweaking resumes and cover letters, seeking a home, and venturing each place I do.
Her mom had a friend from twenty years ago (a stranger to me, and only a memory to Alyssa) meet at the airport to take us and our baggage to our planned residence. It was on base housing, but we'd believed that just like our old base, the housing didn't have manned posts. Unfortunately, we were wrong. Our guide got us through with a retired I.D., but our hearts sank as we realized that we wouldn't ever be able to return alone. Still, we went on to our destination. As we approached the door, Alyssa found papers asking for rent. June, July, and August, they read. We'd become afraid that our house-to-be was no longer. Our new guide saw, and offered his home to us.
He's since been housing us. Not just housing, but taking care. Providing food, helps, and even a church. We're borrowing the out at sea brother's vehicle.
Applebees should call me Monday for an interview; I saw the general manager today. Alyssa has many applications out for various jobs, and we're getting information on apartments. We've been a little afraid, but believe that God is looking out for us. It feels awkwardly to stay in someone's home, but I really believe they're looking at us the loving way Jesus does. They've taken us in as strangers, just like Matthew 25 says.
Please continue to pray for us, and pray for our new friends. Thank you everyone. I miss you guys. God is good : ).
I forgot about giving more credit to using a vehicle. It belongs to my new brother and sister, Matt and Rachel. Thank you guys so much.
I believe we're fearfully and wonderfully made, but I believe we're still being made. God's mercies are new every morning, and we've been made new creatures. I think that our journey was also part of our creation.
If any one can make it on nothing but faith and love it is the two of you. All things are possibly through Christ.
ReplyDelete